Located in Durham NC, Greystone was built in 1911 and is seen here in a 1915 photograph. After fifty years as a residence, it was converterd to apartments and offices in 1961. Restored in 1998, it is now a reception hall and inn.
Hill House was built in 1910 by John Sprunt Hill, a prominant banker whose company occupied his namesake building (now known as Sun Trust Building).When he died in 1961 he donated Hill House for use only by non-secterian, non-political female organizations. The first photo was taken in 1915.
The Hill Building was built in 1937 and is seen here in that year. It had the same architect as the Empire State Building. It was sold in 2012 to a company planning to convert it to a boutique hotel.
Duke Chapel was completed in 1932 and is seen here in pictures from that year and 1940. It sits at the center of Duke University and is on the highest ridge of the West Campus.
This is a 1909 postcard showing Main St. Durham at the intersection with Corcoran. Much of the historical information for this month and next month comes from opendurham.org, which is nothing less than spectacular with its impressive photos as well as thoroughly researched text. For your convenience you can even find on maps the locations of an incredibly large … Continue reading
Five Points was the center of commercial activity during the 1910s and 20s. The flatiron building in the picture housed a drug store until the building burned and was demolished in 1929. To this day, the land remains vacant. The first photo is from 1917, the second was taken in the 1920s and the third is from 1947.
The Citizens National Bank was built in 1911 and is seen here in a photo from the 1930s. Following a merger, it moved to the Hill Building (to be seen next month) in 1970, and the building was convereted to law offices. Unfortunately the arched, multi-panelled windows were replaced with stone. Currently unoccupied.
The Bull Durham Plant was built in 1874 and remains to this day the oldest building in downtown Durham. American Tobacco ceased operations in 1987, and the facility remained vacant until a three-year renovation began in 2005. Now known as A.T. Campus, it hosts concerts and art exhibits and has numerous restaurants and other mercantile operations. Located next … Continue reading