Telluride concludes with the remaining historically significant buildings in town. The first is the high school built in 1896. Because the power plant was nearby, the high school had the first electric school kitchen in the world. The school is seen here in a 1910 photo.(Click to enlarge)
The Sheridan Opera House was built in 1913 and seated 200 people in chairs that slid under the stage for dances. It was the place to be when motion pictures were invented. The photo is from 1940.
This hospital was built in 1902 but closed after only two years due to labor strikes at the mines. It was later a post office then a laundromat, dormitory, and radio station. The photo is from 1903.
Telluride Transfer was built in 1899 and served as a livery for the miners. They would ride uphill to the mines, get off, and send the mules back downhill to the building.The roof collapsed in 1979. Efforts are now underway to convert it to a community center and art exhibitions.
And, finally, at the extreme east end of Telluride lies Bridal Veil Park with its majestic views of the mountain peaks and mining areas. This was the setting for the Telluride Band in this 1886 photo.
This residence is the finest example of Queen Anne architecture in Telluride. It was built in 1893 and looks much the same as it did back then.
The iconic courthouse on Colorado Blvd. was built in 1897 and is still in use today. The first photo dates to 1910.
It was not uncommon to see lengthy mule trains in downtown Telluride while the mines were florishing. Here they are crossing Colorado Blvd. in 1909 (click to enlarge).
The anchor of Telluride was the Sheridan Hotel built in 1892. Five years later the new, three-story Sheridan was built next door. It was the site of William Jennings Bryan’s famous “Cross of Gold” speech on July 4, 1903. After that, in 1906, the original hotel burned and the lot was empty until the hotel … Continue reading
The Telluride Community Hospital, which was seen in the flood picture in last month’s post, was filled to overflowing during the worldwide flu pandemic of 1918. One in ten Telluride citizens died. Today the building looks remarkably as it did then and now houses the Telluride Museum.