Columbia River Gorge
A 1919 photo of Multnomah Falls Oregon’s tallest waterfall and most visited tourist site.
A 1930s picture of Rowena Loop along the Columbia River Highway.
Originally conceived as a monument to the pioneers who first came to Oregon, the Vista House has long afforded unparalleled views of the Columbia River Gorge since it’s opening in May 1918.
The 125 ft. Astoria Column was completed in 1926 at a cost of $27,000. Due to exposure to the elements, the many murals depicting Oregon’s history required major restoration in 1995 at a cost of $1,000,000.
The first two pictures are of Cannon Beach with cars in the 1910s and cars and horses in the 1940s. In 1913 Cannon Beach was decreed to be part of the Oregon State Highway System. It is the site where a cannon from an 1846 shipwreck washed ashore. Also, it is the westward terminus of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.