On a hot July day in 1903 a drunken Calamity Jane posed at the gravesite of her only true love–Wild Bill Hickock. She wanted to be buried next to him and got her wish two weeks after the picture was taken.
Seen here in a postcard photo is the Bullock Hotel in 1896, the year it opened. Today it offers luxurious accomodations and 24hr gaming. It is also the most photographed building in Deadwood.
Main Street 1909
The Bullock Building is seen here in 1925 as an auto showroom. The second floor operated as a brothel for many years until 1980. Note the “painted ladies” mannequins in the first and last windows of the now picture.
Seen here in 1925, the Fairmont was built in 1898 and was also a brothel and speakeasy during Prohibition. It was recenlty restored and is now a casino.
This is the site of The Days of ’76 Rodeo which will celebrate it’s 90th anniversary in August 2013.
The Franklin Hotel is seen here in 1903, the year it opened. It has hosted such notables as Teddy Roosevelt, Buffalo Bill, Babe Ruth, and John Wayne. It continues as one of Deadwood’s most luxurious casinos
The Homestake Gold Mine’s Slime Plant was built in 1906 and used to remove gold particles from pulverized ore until 1973. Today it is the Deadwood Mountain Grand–the town’s premier entertainment and gaming venue.