Monthly Archives: December 2014
The Estes Park Bank opened in 1908 and was the first brick building contsructed in the town. It cost $,1,627 to build, including the cost of the vault. This was at a time when a bank employee earned about 75 cents a day. The photo is dated 1909.
The Manford Hotel also opened in 1908 and was located directly across the street from the Bank. It is seen here in a 1920 photo. Today the building contains various shops.
The Craigs Hotel opened on July 4, 1914, and was named for the rocky outcrops on the mountain side where it was built. It’s owner was Joe Mills who, along with his brother Enos, were largely responsible for the establishment of Rocky Mountain National Park. The hotel is seen here in a 1916 photo.
Once referred to as “the jewel of Estes Park,” the Stanley Hotel opened its doors in June 1909. It was originally painted a mustard yellow color. The picture shows the building just before completion in 1908. (See also the Hotel category for more info.)