Monthly Archives: March 2016
Telluride concludes with the remaining historically significant buildings in town. The first is the high school built in 1896. Because the power plant was nearby, the high school had the first electric school kitchen in the world. The school is seen here in a 1910 photo.(Click to enlarge)
The Sheridan Opera House was built in 1913 and seated 200 people in chairs that slid under the stage for dances. It was the place to be when motion pictures were invented. The photo is from 1940.
This hospital was built in 1902 but closed after only two years due to labor strikes at the mines. It was later a post office then a laundromat, dormitory, and radio station. The photo is from 1903.
Telluride Transfer was built in 1899 and served as a livery for the miners. They would ride uphill to the mines, get off, and send the mules back downhill to the building.The roof collapsed in 1979. Efforts are now underway to convert it to a community center and art exhibitions.
And, finally, at the extreme east end of Telluride lies Bridal Veil Park with its majestic views of the mountain peaks and mining areas. This was the setting for the Telluride Band in this 1886 photo.