Monthly Archives: May 2017
General Robert E. Lee entered Gettysburg on July 1, 1863, and moved into the Widow Thompson’s house using it as his headquarters for the duration of the battle. Later development all but obliterated the historic four-acre parcel, that is, until the Civil War Trust raised $6,000,000 in 2015 to tear down the motel and restaurant … Continue reading
Another single dwelling at a major Civil War battle, also in 1863 and also having gone through extensive renovation, is Shirley House in Vicksburg, MS. It witnessed the fiercest of the fighting during the 47-day siege. The first photo is dated 1863, and the third is from 1902 before restoration (click to enlarge).
The Stone House was built in 1848 and is located in Manassas, Va., where two major battles (both known as Manassas in the North and Bull Run in the South) were fought. Both sides occupied the house, but it was primarily a hospital under Confederate control. It was sold to the Federal Government and renovated … Continue reading
The McLean House was also built in 1848 and is located in Appomattox, Va. It served as the surrender site for the Confederate Army when Lee and Grant met there on April 9, 1865. It had been purchased by Wilmer McLean in 1863 who, ironically, moved there to avoid the war, which had started on … Continue reading