New Glarus, WI.
New Glarus is located in south central Wisconsin about 20 miles south of Madison. It was founded in 1845 by Swiss immigrants and still has a significant Swiss appearance. In 1993, New Glarus Brewing Co. was started--the first brewery ever by a woman. New Glarus is the perfect place for then-and-now pictures owing to its preservation efforts and small, friendly population of about 2,100 people. It was a fun two-hour walk around town on a July morning looking for the locations pictured in the vintage photographs. Installing a new water main in 1902 Construction 1905 Tavern and hotel late 1800s Swiss Immigrant Memorial 1919 House 1910 July 4th Parade 1912