Mark Twain- Gazebo
In 1874 Twain's in-laws surprised him with a gazebo located on a bluff 200 yards from the farmhouse and overlooking the valley and river below. The structure was 12 feet across, had 8 windows, and looked like a pilothouse on a steamboat. Twain loved it so much that he wrote most of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and other major works inside it. In 1952 it was moved to Elmira College, site of the renowned Center for Mark Twain Studies. Visiting scholars stay at Quarry Farm. The first and second photos are dated 1874; the fourth is undated.