General Robert E. Lee entered Gettysburg on July 1, 1863, and moved into the Widow Thompson's house using it as his headquarters for the duration of the battle. Later development all but obliterated the historic four-acre parcel, that is, until the Civil War Trust raised $6,000,000 in 2015 to tear down the motel and restaurant on the property. For the full story go to their website (civilwar.org). After the project was completed, Lee's Headquarters were finally included in Gettysburg National Military Park. The first photo is dated 1863 and the second 1913.