Due largely to the vision and generosity of John D, Rockefeller, Jr., there is no better place in America for then-and-now photos than Williamsburg, VA. Beginning in 1926 he quietly bought up much of the former colonial capitol of Virginia. The main road through town has long been the Duke of Gloucester Street, running one mile from the Capitol building west to the College of William and Mary. Following the restoration of 88 original buildings and the reconstruction of many others, the "new" Williamsburg was formally dedicated by FDR in 1934. The first photo is dated 1909 and shows a monument to the former capitol on the site. The second photo shows FDR at the dedication. Just how much work was needed can be seen in the 1892 photo of the Crump House on the Duke of Gloucester Street. Restoration planners knew visitors would need a place to stay so the elegant Williamsburg Inn was constructed in 1937 as seen in this construction photo. George Wythe was a mentor to Thomas Jefferson while Jefferson attended William and Mary. The Wythe House looks much like it appeared in this 1926 photo. An eye-catching photo is this picture of a tank parked on the Duke of Gloucester Street during a WWI bond drive. Here is a ca. 1928 photo of the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street. Note the second building--the milliner shop. It is a good example of the architectural integrity that was observed throughout the renovation process. In the third photo, note especially the original eaves line where the second floor had been added (click to enlarge).