Gross Point Lighthouse
The Gross Point Lighthouse in northern Evanston IL was built in 1873. For well over a century it has helpled ensure the safety of waterborne traffic and has acted as a vital link in connecting the Great Lakes with the Gulf Coast and the Atlantic Seaboard. It still contains the original second-order Fresnel lens, the largest on the Great Lakes. It is seen here in a 1906 photo.