Zion Episcopal Church was built in 1889 and is situated on a peninsula that juts out into Lake Fowler. The postcard is from 1895.
The Peck House was built as one building in 1846 with subsequent additions made thereafter. The most interesting of those are the 10 Ionic columns taken from the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. It was separated into two dwellings in 1923.
Artist Point is on the south rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Upper Falls is in view in both pictures. Probably the first white man to visit the site was Jim Bridger in 1846. It is seen here showing Teddy Roosevelt’s famous cousin- FDR- during a 1937 tour.
Located in Upper Geyser Basin, Grotto Geyser erupts about every eight hours to an average height of 10 feet. Durations vary from one hour to as many as 10 hours. The first photo shows tourists in 1898.
Pulpit Terrace is located in the Mammoth Hot Springs area. The first two photos date from 1905 and probably record the first ever camera wave.
Fort Yellowstone is located in the northern portion of Yellowstone NP and is part of the Mammoth Hot Springs region. When early park superintendents could not adequately protect against squatters, poachers, and souvenir hunters, the Army arrived in 1886 and stayed for thirty years. Many buildings remain and can be visited via a self-guided walking tour. The first photo is an early 1900s view.
Near the Fort is a 37-foot formation known as Liberty Cap, so named in 1871 because of its resemblance to caps worn during the French Revolution. Inside is a hot spring that has remained open for hundreds of years causing mineral deposits to build up and enclose it. The first photo is from 1871, the second shows tourists in 1888, and the third shows Teddy Roosevelt during his 1903 tour of Yellowstone.
Minerva Terrace is one of many terraces, but it is the most popular owing to its many colors. Hot steam containing sulfer leaks out of the ground causing a yellowish color to the stones, from which the name of Yellowstone National Park was derived. The first photo is a handpainted shot of tourists in 1886. The third photo shows the 25th US Infantry Regiment Buffalo Soldiers in 1897 stopping at Minerva Terrace during their 1900 mile bicycle journey. The Army was testing iron bikes as an alternative to horses.