Point Isabel Lighthouse
Point Isabel Lighthouse is located just south of South Padre Island near the Rio Grande River, which separates Texas and Mexico. The lighthouse was built in 1853 and extensively damaged by the Confederates during the Civil War. It was deactivated in 1905, but returned to service in 1955. In 2000 it was restored to its 1888 appearance. In 2005 it began showing outdoor movies projected on to the lighthouse walls (see photo five). The first photo is dated 1895 and the third is from the 1920s.